30 Before 30….UPDATE!
“A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of.” -Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
Quick update of where we are on our list:
- 4 recipes done, 26 to go.
- 1 underwhelming end result, 1 lovely housewarming gift, 1 delicious french sauce, and 1 fabulous piece o’ beef
- 5 never before used ingredients
- 1 indulgent dinner party
- 1 1/2 pounds of butter used. I know…you’re so impressed.
I haven’t been cooking as quickly as I had hoped….time to pick up the pace! My “2 recipes a week” schedule has been derailed by weekends pretending that I could still attend bachelorette parties/weddings and not feel almost 30 the following day. But, don’t worry intrepid eaters, we’ll make it. This will come to a more satisfying conclusion than LOST did. Seriously…so many questions!!
And a friendly notice to our upcoming house guests, local friends, and dinner invitees: start fasting now…you’ve got lots to eat. Also, please buy some more wine.
Here’s where we stand:
1. Paella– still pending
2. Crown Roast/Standing Rib Roast– going to require its own dinner party!
3. Gravy– I have a recipe chosen and willing participants!
4. Homemade pasta and Bolognese sauce – nothing planned yet
5. Potato Latkes– I’m thinking a weeknight dinner for this one.
6. Hollandaise Sauce Great success!
7. Duck l’Orange– have a friend who’s called “dibs” on this one for dinner.
8. Some kind of Curry A little underwhelming…but great leftovers!
9. Red Velvet Cake– 30th birthday cake?!
10. Real Fried Chicken– mmmmm, anytime sounds good.
11. Salmon on a Plank– perfect for a summer grill out. Who wants in on this one?
12. Homemade Cinnamon Rolls– we have July house guests…so this will be perfect!
13. Soft pretzels– no plans yet
14. Lobster– a few friends pitched the idea of a “BYOL” party…which could be interesting. Very interesting.
15. Soupe de poisson or similarly, bouillabaisse– still in the works
16. Chicago Style pizza– next week!
17. Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes– no plans yet…anyone want to plan a wine and dessert night?
18. A “Turducken”– making for a friends housewarming party in July
19. Sourdough Bread– may have to get the “starter” going next week
20. Shepherd’s Pie– no plans yet
21. Coq au vin– might be perfect for another round of house guests. Guess people aren’t so much flying over as they are staying over…
22. A really, genuinely good casserole– We’re armed and ready to deploy! Watch for it soon…
23. Pea Soup– waiting for a cool spell…it’s been too hot in flyover country!
24. Soufflé– gathered a few recipes, now I just have to work up the courage!
25. Real Gumbo– perfect for another group dinner. I’m sensing trend here…
26. Tiramisu– maybe bring this along to book club?
27. Homemade Applesauce So simple. So delicious. So….apple-y.
28. Polenta– weeknight dinner with the handsome husband
29. Beef Wellington Blown. Away.
30. Key Lime Pie– making for our 4th of July house guests…lucky them!
Set the table....it's time to eat!!
So: hit the treadmill…the next few weeks will be full of butter and deliciousness. Thank you to everyone who’s been reading….I’m having more fun than you can imagine!
xoxo Flyover Foodie
p.s. Hope you are enjoy the long weekend!