“Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what’s for lunch.” – Orson Welles
I have once again been thwarted by distraction: I had a cold, then I was busy at work, then one night I was sidetracked by “Gossip Girl” (I know…shameful.) But, I have stalled long enough.
But I'm so distracted by the antics of Upper East Siders on the CW....
Last week I figured out that I was 31 weeks from my 31st birthday. Being Type-A, I work well with even artificial deadlines, so it seemed fortuitous. So here goes nothing (cracks knuckles). Time to conquer another list of quintessential recipes….all of which are new to me.
Strap on your aprons, sharpen those spatulas….we’ve got one ambitious/delicious list in front of us. Here they are, in the order God intended:
1. Saltimbocca- it means “jump in your mouth”. Sold.
2. Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic- to keep the vampires at bay
3. Egg Drop Soup
4. Baked Alaska – I literally have no idea what this is
6. Perogies – especially for my mom
7. Baba Au Rhum- “Rhum” = rum so it should be good
8. Pommes Annas- I think this is pretty much layer cake made out of potatoes and butter
9. Pasta Carbonara
10. Rack of Lamb- Valentine’s day dinner?
11. Beer- no really, I’m brewing beer.
12. Gnocchi- pasta made of clouds
13. Plum Pudding- suggested by my London-loving friend
14. Weiner Schnitzel- for the German in all of us
15. Croque Monsieur – or the egg-tastic Croque Madam
16. Homemade Sausage – I didn’t get a sausage stuffer for Christmas for nothing!
17. Eggplant Parmesan
18. Boef Bourguignon – per a request from a Francophile friend
19. English Muffins – my favorite
20. Steak Au Poivre – the Handsome Husband’s favorite
21. Ceviche – hopefully I will not poison anyone.
22. Pickles – totally trendy
23. Something “en flambé”- gather round while I light things on fire!
24. Pheasant- hunted and donated by a friend!
25. Classic Fish and Chips
26. Baklava – from another friend’s family recipe!
28. Quail with Rose Petal Sauce – from the book “Like Water for Chocolate”
29. Real macaroni and Cheese – the good stuff!
30. Summer Rolls- fresh and delicious
31. Chicken Kiev – for a “Mad Men” themed night, perhaps?!
Quite the list, huh? I’m so excited to start cooking/burning/stuffing/eating. In fact…I’ve already started! Thanks for helping with all the ideas….now hit the gym, there is butter ahead.
xoxo The Flyover Foodie