Welcome to the 2nd edition of our new favorite feature:
The Friday Hot Dish!
1. This may be redundant, since last week I was counting down to devouring a Octo-dog at the State Fair. BUT the photos in this slide show literally made my stomach growl earlier this week. Really…my boss even heard it! Add an extra 15 minutes to today’s workout: you’re gonna need it. Festival Favorites
2. It’s official: the price of bacon is going up and up. Yes, it is sweltering here in the Midwest, but I think it might be a Congressional conspiracy to get us to “eat better”. And don’t even think about substituting turkey bacon in your recipes…it won’t work. I’ve tried. Price of Bacon Goes Up
3. ANOTHER new cooking competition show debuted last week: Fox’s new “Master Chef” hosted by Gordon Ramsey (who I love) puts chefs before a discerning panel of judges. I haven’t watched the show yet…I already have enough food competition shows lined up on my dvr list. (Chopped, Top Chef, Iron Chef America!) But the real question is: which tv chef would you want to learn from? 10 TV Chefs
My pick: Alton Brown. Love that guy! Just keep Rachel Ray and her EVOO far from my zip code, thankyouverymuch.
4. Even though mustard is my nemesis, I will still give credit where it is due: Tomorrow, head to Middleton, Wisconsin to the National Mustard Museum to celebrate National Mustard Day!! The museum has more than 5,000 kinds of mustard from around the globe. I would recommend NOT wearing white…trust me on this one. National Mustard Museum
5. I know, I know: we’re landlocked here in Flyover Country, but we’ve got our share of non-coastal beaches. Check out this great article on the top Midwestern beaches before you plan your last few summer weekends. Yes, I just wrote the phrase “Midwestern beaches”…..just go with it. Labor Day road trip anyone? Top Midwestern Beaches
6. This week cannot pass without me mentioning Shark Week. I can’t quite figure out the appeal of spending a full week watching sharks attack mammals of various sizes, but it is addicting. I’ve fully recovered from watching “Jaws” at a tender age (nice parenting, Dad!!) but this video might set me back a couple years. Apparently, they jump: South African Great Whites
Watch for a bonus weekend post, coming soon. Happy Friday!!
xoxo Flyover Foodie