Welcome and Happy Friday!
Quick back story: A friend and fellow blogger and I were discussing the term “hot dish” as I mentioned in another post on this blog. We decided that “hot dish” should be incorporated more into everyday vernacular as a term for something awesome. It also works for something exciting and newsworthy. Or as an exclamation.
See if you can use it in a sentence today. For example: “Hot dish! Someone brought bagels for the office.” or even, “The formulas on this excel spreadsheet are a hot dish.” (ok, that one might just be me) See? So easy.
So crack the champagne and break out the langostines: this is the inaugural edition of the Friday Hot Dish full of food news and fun from around flyover country!!! A big filling mix of all the food groups. Enjoy!
1. It’s sweet corn season! Everyone is busy boiling and grilling ears and basting with butter. Mmmmm. But what about after the meal? Check out this article from The Tasting Table all about dessert recipes using our favorite ingredient from God’s Country: Sweet Corn Desserts
True story: my little sister made Octo-dogs (unfried) once when we were home from college. I don’t remember how she did it, but I’m pretty sure the octo had a smiley face.
3. If you’re local, spend a few minutes day dreaming before lunch today about your favorite yummy hot spots. Then channel your inner Food Network host and share The Best Thing You Ever Ate, local style. Enter the contest here.
4. The people in South Dakota know how to let loose! Make a weekend trip to enjoy Clarke Potato Day in Clark, South Dakota. In their own words, “the highlight of the celebration involves grown adults wrestling each other in mashed potatoes!” Glorious. I love living in a part of the county where carbs are still reason to celebrate. Clark Potato Day
5. Did you watch the “Jersey Shore” premier last night? For shame. Atone by spending a day immersed in Italian Heritage. The Festival runs today through Sunday and has been completely revamped. Italian American Heritage Festival
6. So this isn’t food news per se, but it’s hilarious and I laugh every time. And, yes, you can bake me a gourmet cake in the kitchen you made for me with your own hands. Hello, Ladies.
HOT DISH, its the weekend!
xoxo Flyover Foodie